NINEVEH: In a tragic incident over 100 people were killed while 150 others sustained injuries after a raging fire consumed a wedding hall packed with guests in northern Iraq.
The blaze, which took place in the region of Nineveh on Tuesday evening, is said to have been caused by fireworks that were set off inside during the bride and groom’s slow dance.
“Bride and groom were about to do a slow dance and then they lit up this thing for the dance which caught fire,” said an eyewitness.
A video shown by a local broadcaster showed fireworks shooting up from the floor and setting a chandelier aflame.
The local TV footage shows the wedding hall engulfed in flames.
Authorities have warned on Wednesday that the death toll could still rise.
Officials stated that the flammable building materials also contributed to the disaster.
There was no official word on the cause of the blaze.