Iran FM accuses US of approving strike on Damascus consulate

TEHRAN: Iran’s foreign minister again accused the United States of approving a deadly strike blamed on Israel that destroyed Tehran’s Damascus consulate last week, after he inaugurated a new consulate in the Syrian capital.

Tehran, a key Damascus ally, has vowed to avenge last Monday’s air strike on the Iranian embassy’s consular section that killed seven Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) members, including two generals.

The strike came against the backdrop of Israel and Hamas’s ongoing war, which began with the Iran-backed Palestinian militant group’s unprecedented October 7 attack on Israel. “America is responsible for this incident and must be held accountable,” Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian told reporters
in Damascus.

“The fact that the US and two European countries opposed a (UN Security Council) resolution condemning the attack on the Iranian embassy is a sign that the
US gave the green light to the Zionist regime (Israel)” to carry out the attack, he claimed. Asked about Abdollahian’s remarks, deputy Pentagon Press Secretary Sabrina Singh denied Washington was connected to the attack.

“I can very forcefully push back on that and say… the US military had no involvement in that strike that took place in Damascus,” she told journalists. On April 2, a day after the consulate strike, US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby had dismissed as “nonsense” comments by Amir-Abdollahian that Washington, Israel’s main backer, bore responsibility for the attack.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

Step taken to mull barter trade from 13 Balochistan border districts

ISLAMABAD: The govt has formed a body to devise a special package for 13 districts of Balochistan bordering Iran and Afghanistan through which it...