Dua Mangi returns home week after her kidnapping in Karachi | Pakistan Today

Dua Mangi returns home week after her kidnapping in Karachi

KARACHI: Dua Mangi, a 20-year-old law student, returned home on Saturday, a week after she was kidnapped from Karachi’s Defence area.

According to a statement issued by South Zone DIG Sharjeel Kharal, the investigation in the case is ongoing and police will soon provide further information.

“By the grace of God and blessing of the loving people of Sindh, people of Pakistan and friends from all over the world, my daughter Dua Mangi reached home safely,” the girl’s father wrote in a Facebook post.

“I am very much thankful to friends from media, specially civil society who helped us in these tough circumstances and shared their feelings with my family.”

Late on November 30, Mangi was kidnapped by armed men from Bukhari Commercial in Defence Housing Authority (DHA) while her friend Haris Fatah Soomro was shot at and wounded.

On Thursday, DIG Kharal had said: “It appears to be a case of kidnapping for ransom.” He had said that it had been ascertained through investigation that the student was kidnapped for ransom, without elaborating. The DIG South was leading different teams of police probing the incident.

Police had said on Tuesday that they suspected a criminal gang was behind Mangi’s abduction.

According to sources, Dua’s father told police that 10 days ago her daughter had a fight with her friend, later identified as Muzaffar, and a few days later she was abducted.

Police had deduced that the kidnappers may have used a car that was snatched earlier from the Pakistan Employees Cooperative Housing Society (PECHS) neighbourhood last week.

Ferozabad police station’s Station House Officer (SHO) Inspector Aurangzeb Khan Khattak said that a car that was snatched from a trader, Danial Javed, at gunpoint in PECHS Block 2 was suspected to have been used by Dua’s kidnappers.

Khattak added that four armed robbers had snatched Javed’s car at gunpoint from outside his residence and a first information report (FIR) was subsequently registered at Ferozabad police station.

On Thursday, the family of the abducted girl had denied rumours of receiving a ransom call and had criticised Sindh Police and the provincial government for their failure in recovering the abducted girl, claiming that the rumours of ransom were being spread to divert attention from the protests demanding Dua’s recovery and to cover up the authorities’ failure.

The police, faced with criticism and protests by family members and civil society members, had claimed the force was “doing its best” to recover the abducted girl, but after the passage of almost a week, had failed to crack the case.

One Comment;

  1. Pingback: Social media trolls must be snubbed where necessary: Nadia Hussain

Comments are closed.