–PMA urges food authority to ensure quality food at eateries
–Balochistan CM condoles their death
–Sindh CM’s advisor takes notice
KARACHI: Five children died of suspected food poisoning in Saddar area of the metropolis on Friday, said Karachi police.
Reportedly, the kids and their mother dinned at an eatery in Saddar, following which their condition worsened. The family was brought to a nearby hospital, however, the kids could not survive.
“Apparently, it is a food poisoning case, however, further investigations are underway,” said the Superintendent Police (SP) Gulshan Tahir Noorani.
The incident comes after twin siblings – four years old Humayyun and his sister Aliza – on December 31, ate French fries from a local food-seller after which their condition worsened. Both the kids were rushed to a nearby hospital where the boy immediately died and the girl was reported to be in a critical condition.
Later, Pakistan Medical Association (PMA) condoled over the death of five children, saying that PMA is very much concerned for the risk to the lives of people, having food at restaurants.
Pakistan Medical Association (Centre) Secretary-General Dr SM Qaisar Sajjad said that these untoward incidents are happening because there does not exist any monitoring system to control the quality of food at restaurants, vendors selling edibles or dhabas.
He said that food authority in the province should register every small or bigger selling point of food according to the law and must keep a regular check on the cleanliness and food quality to maintain the standards of food provision served to the people.
“Until and unless food authority does not ensure the food quality at these places, we advise the people to avoid eating outside home, because you are not eating food but poison. Without any quality assurance you might fall prey to fatal germs that could be havoc for your life and health,” he added.
Dr Qaisar Sajjad said that Sindh Food Authority should wake up and acknowledge its responsibility to save lives of the people of their province by taking immediate steps to register and regularly monitor these food facilities so that people can enjoy food outside their homes without being scared of any risk to their life and health.
He demanded that the culprits involved in this negligence, due to which five innocent children lost their lives, should be brought to justice for exemplary punishment.
BALOCHISTAN CM CONDOLES:
Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal Khan on Friday expressed grief over the demise of five children due to food poisoning in a Karachi’s hotel.
In a condolence statement, he expressed hope that the Sindh government would investigate the incident immediately and compensate the victims’ family.
He expressed sympathies with the victim family and said the Balochistan government would provide all possible assistance to the victim family.
Jam Kamal also directed the District Police Officer Lasbilla to meet the family members.
SINDH CM ADVISOR TAKES NOTICE:
Advisor to Sindh Chief Minister on Information, Law and Anti-Corruption Barrister Murtaza Wahab, taking notice of reports regarding deaths of five children because of poisonous food, has sought a detailed report from the Sindh Food Authority (SFA).
In a statement on Friday, the advisor said that such incidents were not tolerable. He said that the victim family would be extended all possible assistance.