February 17, 2026
CTD KP conducts first-ever independent counterterror operation in Shangla’s Kabalgram
The Counter Terrorism Department Khyber Pakhtunkhwa executed its first independent operation in Kabalgram, targeting a militant group posing threats to regional security.
February 17, 2026

SHANGLA: The Counter Terrorism Department Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (CTD KP) conducted its first-ever independent targeted operation in Kabalgram, District Shangla, following credible intelligence about the presence of a militant “FAK Tashkeel” posing a serious threat to law enforcement agencies and development projects in the region.
According to operational details, intelligence reports indicated that high-value targets (HVTs) were residing in natural cave complexes in the mountainous terrain, with active facilitation from local elements. Additional militants were reportedly positioned inside the village to provide logistical support and reinforcements.
Security officials said earlier VBIED attacks targeting Chinese nationals had been traced back to networks linked with this group. The proximity of the militant presence to the Karakoram Highway (KKH) was assessed as significantly elevating the threat to Chinese projects and strategic road infrastructure.
The operation was launched at 6:30am in coordination with local police after detailed planning.
Contact and Engagement
As CTD teams advanced toward the identified cave-based hideouts, they established contact with armed militants. In the ensuing exchange of fire, three suspected terrorists were killed.
Among the deceased was Noor Islam alias Salman alias Khog Bacha, son of Zaman Wali, a resident of Kabalgram and described as the Shangla “masool” and an ex-member of the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) faction. He was listed in the CTD K-P Red Book and carried a head money of Rs5 million. The identity of one militant is being ascertained, while a third reportedly blew himself up during the encounter.
After the initial engagement, remaining militants reportedly maneuvered beneath an overhanging cliff formation, limiting the effectiveness of direct fire. CTD and Elite Force personnel cautiously advanced to close the distance and attempt to neutralise the concealed elements using grenades.
At that stage, reinforcement elements from within the village allegedly intervened, launching RPG fire at CTD vehicles and opening indiscriminate fire to provide escape cover to trapped militants. Officials said the attack was repulsed through disciplined maneuvering and controlled response.
Casualties and Tactical Pullback
During the operation, three officials embraced martyrdom: LHC Maqbool Ahmad (No. 438), LHC Fida and LHC Saeed ur Rehman. One Elite Force official sustained injuries and is currently under treatment.
Given the difficult mountainous terrain, the tactical disadvantage posed by cliff concealment and the risk of further reinforcements, teams were directed to conduct a tactical pullback. Authorities said the area remains under surveillance and further intelligence-led action will follow.
Security officials assessed that the presence of an organised militant network in Kabalgram, particularly near the KKH, underscores a structured threat node capable of targeting strategic infrastructure and Chinese-linked projects in the region.







