‘Madyan blasphemy killing’: Police lodge two cases; life returns to normalcy

  • Swat DPO says police have found important evidence regarding blasphemy
  • Authorities have begun an investigation to identify and arrest members of a mob

SWAT: A day after the killing of a blasphemy accused by a mob in Madyan, the Swat police on Friday registered two different FIRs, nominating the person guilty of blasphemy and mob for damaging a police station and vehicles on Thursday night.

DPO Swat Dr Zahidullah confirmed the development, saying that the police have found important evidence regarding the blasphemy.

He said that the police have registered two different FIRs – one registered against the deceased Sulaiman, a resident of Sialkot for the alleged blasphemy and the other one against the mob for attacking and damaging government property.

The Swat DPO further informed that currently the situation in Madyan was completely peaceful and all markets and bazaars were opened and life was going on as usual.

He denied that tourists were not allowed to come to Swat or they were being stopped, clarifying that “during the incident, the police had stopped some tourists for their safety and later they were released,”

According to the police officials, 37-year-old Muhammad Sulaiman, son of Qamar Aziz, a resident of Mohallah Park Pura, Sialkot district, rented a room in Skyways Hotel in Madyan on June 18.

On the second day of his stay, the news of his committing blasphemy spread like wildfire in the area and a mob of people surrounded him.

According to SHO Madyan Islamul Haq, as soon as they got information, the police reached the spot and rescued Sulaiman from the crowd, shifting him to the safety of the police station.

Meanwhile, announcements were made from local mosques through loudspeakers, calling local people to reach the police station. Soon a huge crowd gathered outside the police station who besieged the building. During the rioting, the police resorted to firing to disperse the mob pelting the building with stones. Resultantly, eleven local people and five police officers were injured, the police officer recalled.

“The mob managed to snatch the accused from police station after setting blaze the building and vehicles. They tortured Sulaiman, dragged him on road and later set him on fire on Kalam Road”, the police officer added.

According to the police, some of the remains of the deceased’s body, charred beyond recognition, have been seized by the police and sent to the laboratory for forensic and DNA.

On the other hand, the local people have made it clear that if the police take any action any one on charges of this blasphemy incident, they will be forced to protest on the streets again.

The police have also started an investigation to ascertain as to why did Sulaiman commit the blasphemous in Swat where he had come for spending vacations?

Meanwhile, the police have registered a case but no action has been taken against the nominated accused so for.

Meanwhile, Malakand division’s Regional Police Chief Mohammad Ali Gandapur told Reuters that the authorities have begun an investigation to identify and arrest members of a mob that killed a man accused of blasphemy, after they ransacked a police station holding him in protective custody in Swat.

Gandapur said the situation was under control and a case registered against the organisers of the mob. He added the man had been visiting Swat, which is a popular tourist destination, for Eidul Azha.

Syed Shahabuddin
Syed Shahabuddin
Reporter at Pakistan Today


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

PM calls out PTI for ‘orchestrating propaganda’ against armed forces

Declared a zero-tolerance policy for propaganda against armed forces, Army Chief Federal cabinet again defers decision on banning PTI, invoking Article 6 against...

The religious mindset

Cricket Diplomacy