Shehryar Afridi, Ali Muhammad Khan rearrested after release from Adiala Jail

RAWALPINDI: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leaders – Shehryar Afridi and Ali Muhammad Khan were re-arrested shortly after their release from Adiala Jail Rawalpindi on Tuesday.

PTI leader Shehryar Afridi was taken into custody from his residence in Sector F-8 Islamabad under Section 3 of Maintenance of Public order (3MPO).

However, the former federal minister has been put under house arrest for another 15 days under section 3 of Maintenance of Public Order (MPO), said deputy commissioner Rawalpindi on Tuesday.

Earlier, Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Tuesday declaring Shehryar Afridi’s arrest under 3MPO‘illegal’ ordered his release.

According to the jail administration, Afridi was released on completion of his “house arrest” period under the MPO.

On the other hand, PTI leader Ali Muhammad Khan was shifted to Peshawar central jail soon after his release from Adiala Jail.

As per details, the PTI leader was arrested by Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police after his release from Adiala Jail.

The arrest of the former PTI MNA will be challenged in the high court tomorrow, Ali Muhammad Khan’s secretary added.

Ali Muhammad Khan was released from jail following the directives of the high court’s Rawalpindi bench.

The jail administration said that the PTI leader was released after the conclusion of his detention period under the Maintenance of Public Order Ordinance (MPO).

Several PTI leaders had been arrested under the Maintenance of Public Order Ordinance, 1960 following the violent protests in the country after the arrest of ex-premier Imran Khan on May 9.

May 9 events

Violent clashes broke out across Pakistan after the former prime minister and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan were arrested at the Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Tuesday.

The protests were held in remote and major cities as the party workers are agitated due to their chairman’s arrest, with Balochistan, Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Islamabad summoning the armed forces to ensure law and order.

Army installations and Corps Commander’s house in Lahore came under attack during a protest by PTI workers.

During the days-long protests, which ended only after Khan’s release, enraged PTI workers allegedly attacked private and public properties, including military installations — the Lahore Corps Commander’s House or Jinnah House and the General Headquarters (GHQ) entrance. At least eight people lost their lives during the violent protests.





Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Must Read

Navigating Misgovernance in the Energy Sector

Navigating the intricate labyrinth of energy reforms is a daunting task, especially in a dynamic country like Pakistan. Here, the energy sector seems to...

Off to the World Cup

Epaper_23-09-28 LHR

Epaper_23-09-28 KHI