Attack on Quetta Christians kills two, injures five | Pakistan Today

Attack on Quetta Christians kills two, injures five

–Protests erupt in city over govt’s inability to protect Christians

QUETTA: At least two people were killed and five other injured when gunmen opened fire at Christians coming out of a church following a Sunday service in Quetta.

According to initial reports, the incident occurred when people were leaving after attending the Sunday service at a church in Essa Nagri area of the provincial capital.

Quetta DIG Abdur Razzaq Chema said that unidentified attackers riding a motorbike opened fire on the members of the Christian community and managed to flee the scene soon after the incident.

The injured were shifted to the Balochistan Medical Complex (BMC) where at least two people succumbed to their wounds.

Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Abdul Quddus Bizenjo took notice of the incident and directed that the elements involved in the attack should not be spared at any cost.

Home Minister Mir Sarfaraz Bugti expressed sorrow over the incident and also assured action against the culprits.

Meanwhile, a case was registered against unidentified attackers and an investigation was started.


Following the attack, the community members with the dead bodies staged a protest in the city and blocked roads Barori Road near Golimar Chowk. The protesters said that the government failed to put an end to the attacks on Christians.

Earlier this month, four members of a Christian family travelling in a rickshaw were killed in a firing incident on Quetta’s Shah Zaman road a day after the community celebrated Easter on April 1. The Christian family belonged to Punjab and was visiting relatives in Quetta.

In December last year, nine people were killed and 30 were injured in a suicide attack on the Bethel Memorial Methodist Church on Quetta’s Zarghoon Road.

At least two suicide attackers had struck the Bethel Memorial Church while the Sunday service was ongoing. There were 400 worshipers inside the church when the assault started. The church had been more crowded than usual that day as it was close to Christmas.

Days after the Christians were targeted in the deadly attack, a grieving but defiant congregation marked Christmas amidst tight security arrangements. Commandos were deployed inside and around the church in the southwestern city of Quetta. Snipers were positioned on top of the church, as survivors spoke of their lost loved ones and called for the congregation to be armed, with a quiet, sombre service.

Related posts