Death toll from Balochistan floods reaches 270

QUETTA: The death toll from flash floods triggered by heavy rains in Balochistan has risen to 270, with three more deaths reported in the last 24 hours on Saturday, statistics revealed.

According to the data issued by Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), over 500,000 livestock was either swept away or killed in the tragedy.

Meanwhile, the torrential rains damaged a total of 185,000 houses: 65,000 collapsed and 120,000 houses were damaged.

A member of the Board of Revenue, in a statement, said the floods damaged a total of 103 dams across the province. So far, 125,000 people have been evacuated from the damaged districts, he added.

On September 2, the Balochistan government once again postponed an anti-polio drive in the province amid heavy rainfall and floods that have resulted in deaths, loss of infrastructure and displacement of millions of people.

According to the provincial health department, the immunisation drive was planned from September 5, however, it has now been postponed for the second time.

“The new date for the drive will be announced soon,” it said. The polio drive was postponed last time on August 29.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Must Read

China gifts World Cup giant pandas to Qatar

DOHA: China announced it will give Qatar two giant pandas to mark the World Cup being held in the Gulf state. China's ambassador to Doha,...

Epaper_22-09-27 LHR

Epaper_22-09-27 KHI