ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Syed Shibli Faraz has asked the participants of Pakistan Democratic Movement’s (PDM) Peshawar rally to quarantine themselves for the sake of others’ protection.
In a video message, the information minister said that the people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) have boycotted the opposition’s Peshawar rally, which indicates that they have rejected PDM’s anti-people agenda. “I appreciate people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa for boycotting the opposition’s rally and protecting themselves from coronavirus on the appeal of Prime Minister Imran Khan,” he said in a short video message, released soon after the rally concluded on Sunday.
He said that people’s low interest in PDM’s rally shows their lack of political acumen and the mistrust in the opposition. The minister stressed that coronavirus is a reality and not a fictional tale. He said despite court’s orders, opposition’s insistence on organising public rallies reflects its stubbornness and anti-people approach. He said that the opposition has always given priority to its personal interest over people’s health and respect of law.
Another Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader, Senator Faisal Javed Khan, while reacting to Peshawar rally quipped, “Useless people are holding useless gatherings.” He claimed that PDM’s anti-government movement is aimed at securing relief in the corruption and money laundering cases.
“They are trying their best to get a reconciliation ordinance for which they are endangering the lives of the people and the fast-growing economy,” he wrote on his official twitter handle.
Earlier in the day, PM Imran and key federal ministers had also censured PDM for holding political gatherings despite the exponential rise in the number of coronavirus cases during the second wave.
Opposition parties, on the other hand, have claimed that the government is using coronavirus as “tactic” to cripple the movement which, they claim, would send the PTI government packing by early next year.