Balochistan government spokesperson Liaquat Shahwani on Saturday said that the provincial government will propose that primary schools in the province are reopened 15 days later as opposed to the scheduled date of September 30 in the upcoming National Command and Operation (NCOC) meeting as coronavirus cases are on the rise again.
Earlier, Federal Education Minister Shafqat Mehmood had announced that primary schools in the country would be reopened pending a final review in the NCOC meeting on Sept 29.
Shahwani expressed grave concern over the situation in Balochistan, saying that cases in the province had nearly tripled since August.
“Almost the same number of cases were reported in September as in May. That was around the time [Balochistan] saw a spike in cases. The flow of people in hospitals increased and we had to impose a lockdown. It was a hard experience,” he said, adding that statistics show an increase in numbers as winter approaches which, he said, was a cause for worry.
Reminding of Chief Minister Jam Kamal Khan Alyani’s warning of the risk of a second wave, Shahwani said, “The hospital flow has not increased yet but if it does, we may be heading towards the same situation as in May.”
Talking about measures taken by the Balochistan government, the spokesperson said that educational institutions with as little as two coronavirus cases had been shut down whereas fines would be imposed on teachers, staff members and students if they fail to wear a mask.
“We have directed our surveillance teams to work more [diligently to detect coronavirus cases],” he added.