Maria B’s cook tests negative for coronavirus | Pakistan Today

Maria B’s cook tests negative for coronavirus

— Farooq’s first test from a private lab in Lahore had come out positive

Fashion designer Maria B’s cook, who was admitted to the District Headquarters Hospital in Vehari last week after he tested positive for coronavirus while still in Lahore, tested negative for the pandemic in the second attempt, reports emerged on Monday.

Hospital’s Medical Superintendent (MS) Dr Faazil confirmed that the 30-year-old domestic help for the designer, Hafiz Umar Farooq, had been admitted to the Vehari DHQ Hospital on Mar 22 after his coronavirus test from a private lab in Lahore had come out positive.

Reportedly, following the announcement of the result, the designer’s husband, Tahir Saeed,  had allowed Farooq to travel to his village. However, when Farooq returned to his hometown in Vehari the same day, law enforcement agencies shifted him to the isolation ward of the Vehari DHQ hospital.

“His blood samples had been sent to the Institute of Public Health lab in Lahore for another test,” Dr Faazil said, claiming: “Which then came out negative on March 26.”

According to Dr Faazil, the patient did not show any symptoms of the disease, adding that he would be discharged from the hospital after a report of his last test was received from Lahore in the next 24 hours.

The issue erupted last week when multiple reports, circulating on social media, alleged that the family had sent off Farooq to his village after he tested positive for the virus.

“The couple sent the domestic staffer to his village in Vihari via public transport and did not inform the doctors or alert the authorities,” the reports had claimed, adding that the cook changed two buses to reach his village, thus endangering many others who may now become indirect transmitters of the virus.

Following the incident, police had arrested Maria B’s husband, Tahir Saeed, for “acting irresponsibly” and “endangering the lives of many citizens” as well as his servant. He was later released on bail.