PIC fully operational | Pakistan Today

PIC fully operational

Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar and Punjab Health Minister Dr Yasmin Rashid on Saturday said that the Punjab Institute of Cardiology (PIC) was fully operational three days after it was subjected to a violent attack by a mob of angry lawyers.

CM Buzdar said that the Punjab government will introduce legislation for the protection of hospitals, doctors, paramedics and patients.

He said that Health Professionals Security Bill will soon be tabled in the cabinet.

The health minister, Dr Yasmin, in a tweet said, “PIC fully functional again with medical staff back to work. The lives of those dependent on these facilities is so crucial, we couldn’t spare even a moment’s delay.” She also CM Buzdar and Prime Minister Imran Khan in their efforts in resolving the crisis.

In another tweet, the Punjab health minister reiterated the government’s commitment to tabling legislation for the protection of hospitals.

Moreover, Medical Superintendents PIC Doctor Ameer told reporters that the machines that were vandalized by the lawyers have also been replaced, adding, that the doctors who had been on a strike after Wednesday’s attack have also returned to work.

On Wednesday, a large group of lawyers ransacked the cardiology institute in Lahore. The protest quickly turned violent as patients and doctors fled, after lawyers used stones and bricks to smash windows and destroy hospital equipment in the emergency ward. According to the police complaint, the men in black coats also snatched a patient’s oxygen mask and ripped out another’s IV drip.

The hospital suffered a loss of Rs70 million, due to an attack by a group of lawyers, revealed PIC officials.

Dr Saqib Shafiq, the chief executive of PIC, told that the loss of Rs70 million included damage to the main building, medical equipment and the doctors’ vehicles parked outside.

Two people, as a result, said Dr Shafiq, died in the emergency ward of the PIC, while three patients were rushed to other hospitals where they were later pronounced dead.