–PML-N president vows to take legal action against tabloid, PM Imran and aide Shahzad Akbar
–Marriyum says report does not quote official documents, calls it ‘conspiracy’
–British journalist says he stands by his story, has evidence
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) on Sunday refuted the report of British tabloid The Daily Mail which alleged that the Shehbaz Sharif and his family had embezzled millions from aid money and them to the United Kingdom (UK).
Addressing a press conference, PML-N spokesperson Marriyum Aurangzeb termed the report “baseless” and “planted” by the government.
She alleged that the report was a story planted by the Pakistani government. “The reporter came to Pakistan upon Prime Minister Imran Khan’s direction,” she said.
Showing pictures of the reporter’s meeting with the premier, she said that Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Accountability Shahzad Akbar had met the reporter in Islamabad while PM Imran met him at Bani Gala.
She further alleged that the incumbent government is “constantly lying to the nation every day”.
Speaking about the contents of the report, Marriyum said that the first five paragraphs of the report acknowledge PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif’s performance as the Punjab chief minister.
She also said that the report does not quote any official documents of the British government, adding that it seems like a “conspiracy”.
She further alleged that the real case should be about the “18 fake accounts of PM Imran” and the “money laundering of billions by him”.
SHEHBAZ TO SUE UK NEWSPAPER:
Meanwhile, Shehbaz on Sunday said that he would take legal action against the British newspaper for publishing a “fabricated and misleading” story.
He also alleged that the story had been published on “behest of PM Imran and his aide Shahzad Akbar” and he would imitate legal proceedings against them as well.
“Have decided to file law suit against Daily Mail.
The fabricated and misleading story was published at the behest of Imran Khan and Shahzad Akbar. We will also launch legal proceedings against them. Btw IK has yet to respond to three such cases I filed against him for defamation,” he said in a tweet.
‘I STAND BY MY STORY’:
On the other hand, while speaking to a local news channel, British journalist David Rose said that he stands by his story as he has evidence against Shehbaz.
He said that he tried to contact the PML-N leadership many times but could not get a comment from them.
“I tried to get their narrative. I called Marriyum Aurangzeb and sent her many messages but she refused to comment on the matter,” he said.