ISLAMABAD: An accountability court in Islamabad once again reserved its verdict on an acquittal plea filed by former law minister Dr Babar Awan in the Nandipur Power Project case on Wednesday.
The court will announce the verdict on the plea in the reference pertaining to a delay in Nandipur Power Project on February 25.
Accountability Judge Arshad Malik said he would not announce the verdict over the acquittal plea before reviewing the records.
He said that it was an established truth that the Nandipur project was delayed, only this had to be established whether this delay was caused because of the former law minister or not.
Malik also asked the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) as to what will happen to rest of the suspects if Babar Awan is acquitted. The NAB prosecutor responded that others would also want the same treatment.
Earlier, the court had reserved the verdict of Nandipur Power Project case on Monday.
Judge Malik had made his decision after hearing arguments of Awan, NAB prosecutor and former prime minister Raja Parvez Ashraf’s counsel.
During the hearing, Dr Awan informed the court that he was not the law minister when two summaries had been sent to the Ministry of Law. “The new law minister did not even grant approval after I left. Approvals are the law secretary’s responsibility and not the minister’s.”
He accepted that the Nandipur project was not completed but alleged that a corruption reference was initiated against him selectively.
Relaying his arguments to the court, the NAB prosecutor informed that the Rehmat Hussain Jafri commission’s report is available. “The law minister did issue one form that was required. The entire blame is on the incompetence of the law ministry during Dr Awan’s tenure.”
Upon hearing this, Judge Malik had remarked that this was “such a small issue”. Presenting his arguments before the court, the counsel for former PM Ashraf said: “Before a charge sheet is filed, all the convicts are supposed to provide the relevant documents.”