KARACHI: The Sindh government has decided to take stern action against all those doctors who have not joined their duties in Thar.
This was decided in a high-level meeting presided over by Sindh Chief Secretary Syed Mumtaz Ali Shah on Saturday. The meeting also decided to issue a final show-cause notice in daily newspapers before initiating disciplinary action against the doctors reluctant to join their duties in Thar.
The chief secretary said that steps were being taken to resolve the issue of shortage of doctors in the region. He further stated that more allowances would be given to the doctors performing their duties in different health facilities in Tharparkar.
Health Department officials informed the meeting that the Health Department of Sindh had established mobile camps in 620 villages and had treated 84,126 patients between October 14, 2018, and November 30, 2018.
National Institute of Child Health (NICH) Director Dr Jamal Raza said that a 12-bed ward of the institute had been established in Civil Hospital Mithi (CHM) with the facility of one incubator and emergency service as well. He stated that more doctors and paramedical staff would be sent to Thar, whereas a separate health facility of NICH would also be established in Mithi.
The chief secretary appreciated the NICH’s role and said that the provincial government would provide all possible support to NICH for establishing the new health facility in Thar.
The meeting was attended by senior officers including Sindh Advocate General Salman Talibuddin, Food Secretary Muhammad Rashid, Finance Secretary Najam Ahmed Shah, Schools Secretary Qasi Shahid Parvez, Mirpurkhas Commissioner, Tharparkar Deputy Commissioner and others.