Woman seeks PHC’s permission for sex reassignment surgery | Pakistan Today

Woman seeks PHC’s permission for sex reassignment surgery

PESHAWAR: A 22-year-old woman on Friday moved the Peshawar High Court (PHC) seeking permission to undergo the sex reassignment surgery (SRS) to become a man.

This is the first case of its kind to come before Peshawar High Court (PHC).

Kainat Murad has been diagnosed with gender dysphoria, a condition in which a person persistently identifies with the opposite gender and therefore, she has problems like depression, anxiety and insomnia, which could only be treated through the SRS.

Kainat is the only child in the family and her paralysed father is unable to work.

“I’m not happy with the life of a woman as I cannot work openly like a man to support my family,” Kainat said in her petition filed in the PHC.

“Since childhood, I’ve been living life like a male. I’ve played with boys and now I ride a motorcycle,” the petition further read.

Her lawyer, Saifullah Kakakhel, filed the petition on Friday, in which she seeks a court order to allow her to undergo Gender Reassignment Surgery.

Kainat has also requested the court to direct Nadra to change her name in its records to Muhammad Kaif.

She said that in this country, the protection against harassment laws has failed to protect women workers and women are not even able to raise their voices due to social taboos. This is also why she wants to change her gender.

“I am almost a male. I’ve consulted doctors, though they have said that they can perform such a surgery but have cautioned that I have to get the high court’s permission before undergoing it,” her petition said.

Related posts