BEIJING: The Chinese foreign ministry on Friday condemned the attempted attack on the Chinese consulate in Karachi, seeking practical measures to ensure the safety of its citizens in Pakistan.
In a daily news briefing, the Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang said China “strongly condemns the attack on its consulate in Pakistan”.
He said all staff working in China’s consulate in the Pakistani city was safe, adding that the attackers did not enter the consulate compound.
In the statement, China asked Pakistan to take practical measures to ensure the safety of Chinese citizens in Pakistan.
The spokesperson said, “China strongly condemns any violent attacks against diplomatic and consular missions and has asked Pakistan to take concrete measures to ensure the safety of Chinese citizens and institutions in Pakistan.”
“At the same time, we expressed our condolences to the Pakistani security personnel who lost their lives in the incident and expressed their condolences to their families and injured people,” Shuang said.
He told reporters that the Pakistani side is currently investigating the incident. “As far as we know, the consulate general is currently closed,” he said.
The spokesperson acknowledged Pakistan’s timely and effective action to protect the safety of the Chinese Consulate-General’s premises and personnel in Karachi.
“The Pakistani security personnel have unfortunately sacrificed in the crossfire. We highly appreciate the efforts of the Pakistani side and express our condolences to the Pakistani security personnel who lost their lives in the incident and express their condolences to their families and injured people,” he added.
Earlier in the day, security forces foiled a terror attack targeting the Chinese consulate situated in Karachi’s Cifton area.
Two policemen were martyred and a security guard injured as three gunmen tried to enter the consulate.
Top leadership of the country, including Prime Minister Imran Khan and Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, condemned the attack with the PM ordering the inquiry into the attack and the FM calling it a “cowardly” attack.