VEHARI: More than 20 students choked on Wednesday after inhaling smoke from fireworks used in the oath-taking ceremony of the municipal committee chairman.
It was reported that the students were attending regular school classes adjacent to the municipal hall where the oath-taking ceremony was taking place.
After inhaling the smoke, some of the students were left unconscious and were rushed to the District Hospital for medical assistance.
Following the incident, at least eight people involved in using fireworks were arrested by the local police.
Further, the deputy commissioner confirmed that a case was registered against the organisers of the event.
Meanwhile, the Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar took notice of the incident soon after it was reported on media. He issued orders to relevant authorities to submit a report on the matter within 24 hours.