KARACHI: An anti-terrorism court in Karachi on Saturday approved the bail of three suspects involved in the murder of Naqeebullah Mehsud, who was killed in a fake encounter allegedly planned by suspended SSP Rao Anwar.
The three suspects released on bail include former DSP Qamar Ahmed Sheikh, Sub-Inspector Yaseen and Head Constable Khizer Hayat.
One case was booked against Yaseen and Hayat each over the killing, while hearing was underway against Qamar Ahmed in three cases. However, Qamar Ahmed’s bail plea has been accepted in all three cases.
Suspended SSP Rao Anwar, the main accused in the murder case, was earlier granted bail by the ATC on July 10.
So far, bails of five police personnel accused in the case, including Anwar, have been approved by the ATC.
Police officers accused in the case had been ‘unnecessarily put on trial’, Rao Anwar had said in an informal conversation with journalists outside the ATC.
“Some individuals wanted to these officers to give a certain statement, but upon their refusal, a false case was made against them,” he told journalists.
On July 16, Naqeebullah’s father expressed apprehensions on the way the case was being conducted.
He had filed a plea to transfer case of the extrajudicial killing of his son by Rao Anwar from the ATC as well.
The complainant expressed dissatisfaction over the judge’s decision saying, “Our pleas have not been heard from the very first day.”
“The judge has not taken any notice of the protocol provided to the accused,” he had added.