Salman Khan’s upcoming film Bharat has finally found a new leading lady in Katrina Kaif after its previous one, Priyanka Chopra, pulled out of the project last minute due to her reported engagement to Nick Jonas.
The film’s director Ali Abbas Zafar confirmed the development and revealed that Kaif will begin shooting in September.
Speaking to the Mumbai Mirror, Zafar said, “I am extremely excited to work with Katrina and Salman again. We have had exciting collaborations in the past. Katrina got on board in the ‘nick’ of time for this project.”
Salman and Katrina have worked together in many films earlier including the highly successful Tiger Zinda Hai and Ek Tha Tiger.
Bharat is an official adaptation of 2014 South Korean film Ode to My Father and is slated for release on Eid 2019.
The director announced Chopra’s departure from the film in a cryptic tweet which read, “Yes Priyanka Chopra is no more part of Bharat the film and the reason is very very special, she told us in the ‘Nick’ of time about her decision and we are very happy for her. Team Bharat wishes Priyanka Chopra loads of love and happiness for life.”
Yes Priyanka Chopra is no more part of @Bharat_TheFilm & and the reason is very very special , she told us in the Nick of time about her decision and we are very happy for her … Team Bharat wishes @priyankachopra loads of love & happiness for life 😊😉😍
— ali abbas zafar (@aliabbaszafar) July 27, 2018
While Zafar had wished the actress the best of luck, and Salman’s father Salim Khan appeared to be okay with the development, one of the film’s producers Nikhil Namit called the actor unprofessional.
“Priyanka told us she had to exit due to her engagement, two days ago. It was a little unprofessional of her to do it so suddenly,” he was quoted as saying in Mid-Day.
Nick and Priyanka have reportedly put a ring on it after two months of dating. The two met at last year’s Met Gala and Jonas apparently popped the question on Chopra’s 36th birthday in London.