Star batsman Shoaib Malik maintained on Sunday that 2019 World Cup will be his last 50-over event in a bid to allow the young talent to show their mettle.
In a press conference on Sunday before the team’s department for Zimbabwe tour, the all-rounder said, “I have stated on a few occasions that the 2019 World Cup is the last 50-over event of my career.”
However, the all-rounder said he would continue to play T20 cricket. “I will try to keep playing T20s if I maintain fitness and form until 2020,” he added.
Shoaib Malik had already announced his retirement from Test cricket in 2015. “I have no regrets on taking early retirement from Test cricket.”
“The young players in the Test team are performing well,” he said, adding that they could win any big event for the country.
Referring to Umar Akmal’s startling revelation of being approached by bookies ahead of India match in 2015, he opined that such incidents should be reported immediately. “This is not my domain but if you do ever receive an offer then it’s not to show the world, it’s to report to the anti-corruption unit. If anything happened to me, I would have reported it straight away to the unit. My message to everyone is that if you see someone shady, you should report it. The cleaner you keep the sport, the better the message is that is broadcast to the fans and onlookers,” he argued.
He also said almost all teams give priority to the physical fitness. He praised the young and emerging talent in Pakistan, stating, “There is a lot of self-awareness in the youngsters. There is a very good atmosphere in the group as the seniors help out the juniors and pass on the things they have learned.”
Malik was part of Pakistan’s T20 and Champions Trophy winning teams. The former captain has been in good form in the shorter format, striking 10 sixes in two matches against Scotland.