ISLAMABAD: Nawaz Sharif’s controversial statement on 2008 Mumbai attacks have been making rounds in the media. Following that, India had threatened to take the former prime minister to the International Court of Justice (ICJ) leaving Pakistan alarmed, according to reports.
According to a report, senior officials at the Foreign Ministry said that India was planning to ‘play’ with the statement in the ICJ.
Moreover, the officials were hopeful that such a plea would not be taken seriously by the ICJ, as it is not a persuasive argument, rather an opinion.
Earlier, Nawaz, in a recent interview to a leading English daily, had said, “Militant organisations are active. Call them non-state actors, should we allow them to cross the border and kill 150 people in Mumbai? Explain it to me. Why can’t we complete the trial?”
Following this, Pakistan’s civil and military leadership on Monday rejected the statement during the National Security Committee meeting presided over by Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi.
Abbasi reviewed the recent statement and unanimously termed it ‘incorrect’ and ‘misleading’.
It was also stated that India denied Pakistani investigators access to Ajmal Kasab, the convicted Mumbai attacker who was hanged by India.
Meanwhile, Pakistan continues to await cooperation from India regarding the arrest of Indian spy Kulbhushan Jadhav and the Samjhota Express attack.
Last year, the ICJ asked Pakistan to stay Jadhav’s execution until a final verdict.
The RAW agent was found guilty of conducting espionage activities in the country. The trial against Jadhav was conducted under the Pakistan Army Act 1952 and Official Secret Act of 1923. Pakistan is expected to file its counter rejoinder on or before July 17 in the ICJ relating to the case of the Indian spy.