PM urges philanthropists to emulate Al-Shifa Trust to serve humanity | Pakistan Today

PM urges philanthropists to emulate Al-Shifa Trust to serve humanity

RAWALPINDI: Prime Minister (PM) Shahid Khaqan Abbasi Saturday urged philanthropists to emulate the services of Al-Shifa Trust to serve the humanity.

PM Abbasi, while announcing a donation of Rs200 million for the first Children Eye Hospital of the Al-Shifa Trust, hoped that it would be a source of inspiration for others who care for their fellow beings.

Addressing a gathering at the 27th Al-Shifa Trust Annual Day, the prime minister said the trust hospitals had provided quality care to millions and its doctors and staff had set high standards of healthcare that not only need to be maintained but improved to cater the evolving needs.

The Rs1 billion hospital aims at the timely treatment of eye diseases and disorders in children, 80 per cent of which are treatable and can prevent blindness.

Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi also lauded the efforts of Al-Shifa Trust President Lt (r) Gen Hamid Javaid, for not only taking the vision forward but also for making the hospital sustainable and expanding its reach.

Senator Mushahid Husain in his remarks recalled his role as media advisor to late General Jahandad, the founder of Shifa Trust, when he was editor of The Muslim daily, and described him a ‘man of passion and humility’. Mushahid added that the founding father believed in giving back to the society, and that’s what he did.

Lt Gen (r) Hamid Javaid said that Al-Shifa was today one of the leading eye hospitals that treat over 0.8 million patients per annum, besides conducting over 60,000 surgeries in its hospitals at Rawalpindi, Sukkur, Kohat and Muzaffarabad.

He said that the hospital was providing free treatment to 70 per cent of the deserving patients and subsidised care to remaining 30 per cent, besides screening of 300,000 school children annually.

The prime minister later distributed awards and certificates for outstanding performance. He was also awarded a commemorative shield.



Related posts

Top