Dubai Public Prosecution delays release of Sridevi's body as investigations underway - Pakistan Today

Dubai Public Prosecution delays release of Sridevi’s body as investigations underway

DUBAI:  Dubai Police has transferred the case of Sridevi’s death to Dubai Public Prosecution which will be carrying out the regular legal procedure followed in such cases.

According to Khaleej Times, husband Boney Kapoor is still awaiting approval from the Public Prosecution to release Sridevi’s body. Currently, authorities say that it’s very unlikely for the body to be released today.

While the world is still reeling from the shock of Sri Devi’s death, latest reports suggest that the veteran actor Sridevi, 54, was under the influence of alcohol when she lost balance and fell into the bathtub and drowned leading to her sudden demise. The death certificate issued to the family lists the cause of death to be an accidental drowning.

Further investigations regarding the actor’s death are underway as the police are trying to put together the chain of events and who was present at the time of the death. The Dubai Police has transferred the case to Dubai Public Prosecution, which will carry out regular legal procedures followed in such cases, according to the Dubai Media Office. This means that the funeral will be delayed further. Meanwhile, the body has been sent for embalming.

Sridevi was reportedly getting ready for a dinner date with her husband in the bathroom when the incident occurred.

The couple was attending a family wedding in Dubai last week and while Boney had flown back to Mumbai on Wednesday, last week, he had returned to Dubai on Saturday evening to “surprise” her with the dinner, a source close to the family told the Khaleej Times.

The couple chatted for a few minutes before he asked her to get ready following which Sri Devi went to the washroom. 15 minutes later, when the late actress did not come out, Boney knocked on the door to check on her.

When he got no response, he forced open the door to find his wife lying motionless in the bathtub full of water, the source said.

“He tried to revive her and when he could not, he called a friend of his. After that, he informed the police of the incident at 9 pm at night,” he added.

The police and paramedics rushed to the site, but she was pronounced dead.

Her body was taken to the General Department of Forensic Medicine for an autopsy.

The autopsy was completed on Sunday evening and the body is expected to be flown back on the private plane of billionaire Anil Ambani, who is a close friend of the couple, to Mumbai on Monday.

Sridevi’s younger daughter, Khushi Kapoor was in Dubai with her, while her elder daughter Jhanvi Kapoor was in Mumbai as she prepares for her upcoming film Dhadak with Shahid Kapoor’s brother Ishaan Khattar.

To mourn the death of the “first female superstar of India,” Bollywood has cancelled most of its shoots, schedules and other events. Actors from all across the world are returning to Mumbai for her funeral which will be held at Mumbai’s Pawan Hans in Juhu, Ville Parle.

Related posts