KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah on Wednesday denied reports that the government had issued No Objection Certificate (NOC) to former SSP Malir Rao Anwar for leaving the country.
Talking to the media at Jamshoro flyover opening ceremony, the chief minister said that Sindh government did not accord any permission to the suspended SSP Malir Rao Anwar to leave the country.
Rao is allegedly involved in the extra-judicial killing of a Mahsud tribesman Naqeebullah who was living in Karachi’s Sohrab Goth area. A police team probing the Naqeebullah extrajudicial killing case will go to Islamabad and seek help from the capital’s police force to arrest Rao Anwar, the sources said.
Rao Anwar allegedly tried to escape the country after being placed on the Exit Control List (ECL) by the Ministry of Interior following the directives of the Supreme Court of Pakistan. The suspended official is also said to be an Iqama holder in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Sources in the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) said that the law enforcement agents discovered that Rao had ‘Iqama’ or residence permit of UAE that had been issued on October 9, 2017, in the name of Anwar Ahmed Khan.
The sources said that the suspended SSP may also find himself in trouble on account of having the ‘Iqama’, which he was not entitled to obtain as a government employee.
Anwar is currently facing a departmental inquiry over the alleged extrajudicial killing of 27-year-old Naqeebullah Mehsud.
A First Information Report was registered at the Sachal police station under multiple Sections of the Pakistan Penal Code including 302 (murder), 365 (kidnapping), 344/34 (fake encounter), 109 (on behest of) and 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Act.