RATLAM: A diehard fan of Virat Kohli set himself on fire after the Indian cricket team captain failed to perform well against South Africa in Cape Town on Friday.
Babulal Bairva – a retired railway employee – a resident of Ratlam district in Madhya Pradesh, attempted self-immolation after Virat Kohli got out for five runs during the first innings of the first Test match against South Africa. He was rushed to the hospital by his family and neighbours. Bairva suffered injuries on his head, hands and face. His condition was said to be stable, however, he died in hospital today.
According to police, Bairva was watching the first Test of team India alone in his room. And when Virat Kohli was out, he allegedly poured kerosene and burned himself. “The man in his statement accepted that he was too upset with the dismissal of Virat Kohli and set himself ablaze,” the Do Batti police station Assistant Sub-Inspector PS Alawa as saying.
“During the probe, we found no other reason which could have driven Bairva to this extreme step,” the officer added. The medical report did not indicate whether Bairva was drunk when he committed suicide. A case has been filed at the Do Batti Police Station and further investigation is under process.
South Africa bowled out India on Monday for 135 in their second innings, registering a 72-run victory on the fourth and penultimate day of the opening cricket Test.