Following the lamentations of Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) chief Dr Farooq Sattar regarding the victimisation of the party and its workers, Railways Minister Saad Rafique said the government will make all-out efforts to address the “legitimate complaints” of the party.
Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) senior leader Saad Rafique shared a statement on his Twitter account after a telephonic contact with Sattar on Thursday. Rafique wrote: “Had a telephonic contact with Dr Farooq Sattar, assured him that federal govt would make an effective effort to address the MQM’s legitimate complaints.”
The statement by the PML-N leader comes on the heels of Farooq Sattar’s two “emergency” pressers on Thursday, in which the MQM-P leader, disheartened by party leadership and workers, had decided to resign from the party and politcs—though for an hour.
During the first press conference, Sattar had remarked that he was disappointed in the response he got from his party members following the decision to make a political alliance with Pak Sarzameen Party. The MQM-P chief also rebuked PSP chief Mustafa Kamal for launching a tirade against the MQM-P during a joint presser on Wednesday, when he was supposed talked about the merger, only.
Sattar, however, took his resignation over the requests from his party leadership, workers and his mother.
If first press conference was focused on the ordeal which Sattar went through after the proposed PSP-MQM-P merger, then the second was dedicated to the plight of the MQM-P and treatment meted towards it following the August 22 speech of Altaf Hussain, then-founder of the MQM.
He claimed that MQM-Pakistan is being politically victimised. “Why are our 150 political offices not being returned to us? About 165 of our companions are missing; almost 200 of our offices are closed. We should be given what is ours.”
He said, “I implore upon the media to go to the jails and see the conditions are workers are in. I am not asking for anything extra, only asking for what is written in the jail manual.”
Following the events of August 22, several MQM-P offices had been razed while a total of 196 ‘sector and unit’ offices in the city were sealed in a crackdown on the party.