- Says recent drone attack a matter of grave concern for Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Media Affairs Musadik Malik, while dispelling impression about change in government policy on drone attacks, has made it clear that Pakistan’s stance on drone attacks was the same as before.
“The government has never allowed the US to conduct drone attacks in tribal areas. It has been our stance from the very first day that these attacks are a gross violation of our sovereignty,” he said this while talking in a private TV programme here Wednesday.
He went on to say that “the recent drone attack is a matter of grave concern for us,” adding “we have pursued the same stance on these attacks as we had adopted in the past on such attacks.”
Although PM Shahid Khaqan Abbasi had given a clear message to US administration that the US, along with Pakistan, could carry out a joint operation against the terrorists; therefore, “if the US thinks that there are terrorists in any area then it should identify and inform us about them,” he remarked.
He held that the drone attacks, which have been conducted recently, are not an outcome of any joint operation because, so far, the US has not made any contact in this regard.
When asked about the government’s confused stance on these attacks, he dispelled such notions, saying as far as condemnation from the Foreign Office is concerned it will come within a few days.
“We are declaring it an attack, and not an action taken with the consent of Pakistan; it is not appropriate to give a stern reaction instantly due to foreign matters,” he underlined.
However, he added, this matter will be taken up in the meeting of National Security Council.