The senate was provided with the details of commercial entities being run by various wings of the armed forces in the country.
In a written reply to a question asked by Senator Farhatullah Babar of the Pakistan People’s Party, Defence Minister Khawaja Asif informed the house that there were nearly 50 “projects, units and housing colonies” functioning in the country under the administrative control of Fauji Foundation, Shaheen Foundation, Bahria Foundation, Army Welfare Trust (AWT) and Defence Housing Authorities (DHAs).
According to the details provided in the reply, There are 16 “projects and units” functioning under the AWT, 15 under the Fauji Foundation and 11 under the Shaheen Foundation.
The house was informed that Bahria Foundation was not administrating any housing colony in Pakistan, “however, an offshore tolling type LNG project is under its consideration”.
Eight DHAs were established in major cities. These DHAs — mostly created through ordinances — are in Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi-Islamabad, Multan, Gujranwala, Bahawalpur, Peshawar and Quetta.
The projects/units being run by the AWT are:
- Two stud farms in Pakpattan and Okara
- Army Welfare Sugar Mills, Badin
- Askari Project (shoe and woollen), Lahore
- Army Welfare Mess and Blue Lagoon Restaurant, Rawalpindi
- Real estate comprising three small housing schemes in Lahore, Badaber and Sangjani
- Askari General Insurance Co Ltd Rawalpindi
- Askari Aviation Services, Rawalpindi
- MAL Pakistan Ltd Karachi
- Askari Guards (Pvt) Ltd, head office (HO) in Rawalpindi
- Askari Fuels (CNG) with HO in Rawalpindi
- Askari Seeds, Okara
- Askari Enterprises, Rawalpindi
- Fauji Security Services (acquired from Fauji Foundation), HO in Rawalpindi
- Askari Apparel, Lahore
- Askari Lagoon, Faisalabad.
The projects/units under Fauji Foundation are:
- Fauji Cereals
- Foundation Gas
- Fauji Fertiliser Company Ltd
- Fauji Cement Co Ltd
- Fauji Oil Terminal and Distillery Co Ltd
- Fauji Kabirwala Power Company Ltd
- Foundation Power Co (Dharki) Ltd
- Askari Cement Ltd
- Askari Bank Ltd
- Foundation Wind Energy (I and II) Ltd
- Noon Pakistan Ltd Lahore
- Fauji Meat Ltd
- Fauji Fertiliser Bin Qasim Ltd
- Fauji Akbar Partia Marine Terminal Ltd, HO in Karachi.
A company under the name of Pakistan Maroc Phosphore SA was set up in Morocco by the Fauji Foundation in 2008.
Projects, units and housing colonies under the administrative control of Shaheen Foundation, which is a trust of the Pakistan Air Force, are:
- Shaheen Airport Services
- Shaheen Aerotraders
- Shaheen Knitwear
- Shaheen Complex, Karachi
- Shaheen Complex, Lahore
- Shaheen Medical Services
- Hawk Advertising
- Fazaia Welfare Education School System
- SAPS Aviation College
- Air Eagle Aviation Academy
- Shaheen Welfare Housing Scheme, Peshawar.
The Senate was told that Shaheen Foundation was established in 1977 under the Charitable Endowment Act 1890 “to promote welfare activities for the benefit of serving and retired PAF personnel, including civilians and their dependents, and to this end generate fund through industrial and commercial enterprises”.