The district police have stepped up security measures by arresting 80 suspects in several search operations following the terrorist attack on Army Public School, Peshawar.
“Yes, we have enhanced security arrangements and been vigorously pursuing the instructions given by higher authorities with regard to security across the district, especially at educational institutions,” District Police Officer (DPO) Sadiq Hussain Baloch said on Monday.
He said that the police force was fully aware of its obligation to protect the lives and property of the citizens. “After the Peshawar carnage 80 suspected persons have been rounded up in over 17 search operations conducted so far in various parts of the district,” he added.
However, he said that some of the detainees were freed after being put through a thorough verification process. Arms and weapons have been also seized in these on-going operations.
Answering a question, the police officer said that there was effective coordination among all relevant departments, and instructions had been passed onto educational facilities, besides other official installations, to take proper security measures in light of the given directives to prevent any untoward incident.
He was of the view that people should come forward to cooperate with the police and keep eye on suspicious persons to ensure peace and harmony in the district, especially after the Peshawar tragedy and at a time when Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi was round the corner. He said duties being performed by police officials were praiseworthy and they should provide people with a further sense of security.