Iran launches largest gas storage facility in Middle East | Pakistan Today

Iran launches largest gas storage facility in Middle East

Iran launched the largest gas storage facility of the Middle East on Sunday in Sarakhs city of the country’s north-eastern Khorassan Razavi province.

The Shourijeh gas storage facility was launched in a ceremony attended by Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh.

The gas storage facility is expected will store five mcm/d of gas over the next seven months and boost Iran’s gas delivery capacity to 10 million cubic meters per day (mcm/d) by the next winter while eliminating the need to import gas from neighbouring countries.

The storage facility will transfer gas to North Khorassan, Khorassan Razavi, Mazandaran, Gilan and Ardebil provinces in north, north-east and north-west of Iran.

The facility is capable of storing up to 4.8 billion cubic meters of gas.

Iranian companies have manufactured and supplied 55 percent of Shourijeh facility’s equipment and the remaining 45 percent has been imported from Ukraine.

With the launch of the facility, Iran will become one of the five main countries in the world and second in the Middle East with underground facilities for natural gas storage.

Related posts