Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan on Thursday admitted the fact that the terrorist attack in Dir claimed by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan had ‘deeply hurt’ the dialogue process with the militant outfit and the government would ensure dignity and sovereignty while going for talks with the Taliban.
Responding to point raised by PTI legislator Dr Shireen Mazari during the National Assembly session, the interior minister said the All-Parties Conference had empowered the government to hold talks and starting the process would require some more time. Nisar did acknowledge that the process had been hampered following the attack in Upper Dir in which Pakistan Army officials, including two senior officers, were martyred.
Nisar said the operation in Karachi was launched on the orders of the federal government who was also making sure coordination and monitoring of the process. He added that consultations with the provincial government, MQM and other parties were being held on a daily basis.
“The Rangers have conducted 400 targeted operations and police over one thousand operations in Karachi. About 250 target killers have fled from Karachi to North Waziristan,” he added.
The minister also gave a clean chit to the MQM for links with the Mohajir Republican Army, stating that it had no connection with the MQM.
Nisar said the Rangers had achieved remarkable successes in the first phase of targeted operation against the criminals in Karachi.
The minister said terrorists from Karachi had started moving to other places after the launch of operation and over 250 terrorists had entered North Waziristan.
He urged the political leadership not to raise objections to the peace process and if anyone had some suggestions, the same should be shared at a proper forum.
Earlier, PTI leader Dr Shireen Mazari and others raised their concerns and shared some proposals about peace talks with TTP and Karachi unrest.