Missing Medina putt could have wrecked career: Kaymer | Pakistan Today

Missing Medina putt could have wrecked career: Kaymer

Europe’s Ryder Cup hero Martin Kaymer has a nightmare in which the five-foot putt he sank to beat Steve Stricker on Medina’s 18th green slides agonisingly past the hole and his career spirals into decline. The German’s victory over Stricker in September guaranteed Europe would retain the trophy after one of the most improbable comebacks in the history of the competition. “Now I honestly feel like my whole career might have been on the line,” the former world number one who suffered an otherwise disappointing 2012, told Friday’s Daily Mail. “I sometimes think about what would have happened if I had missed it. Would I have had the mental strength to recover from thinking I had let down a whole continent?
“I had a similar putt to win my first major, the U.S. PGA in 2010, but the feeling was completely different. “If I had missed that one it would have been my own fault and I would have moved on to the next major. “But letting down so many people? That doesn’t bear thinking about.” Europe went into the final day trailing 10-6 and needed to win eight of the 12 points available in the singles matches to keep hold of the trophy. Kaymer’s victory ensured Europe reached 14 points before Italy’s Francesco Molinari halved with Tiger Woods to give Europe an outright victory. After being dogged by poor form throughout the year, Kaymer ended in style in Sun City, South Africa, where he won his first title of 2012 at the Nedbank Golf Challenge. He said the Ryder Cup victory had helped to turn things round. “Up to that point (my season) hadn’t been good,” he said. “I would have given it three or four at best out of ten. “Then, all of a sudden, you feel a lot happier about matters. On paper you’d probably still only give the year a three or four but mentally it had suddenly gone up a few marks.”
Indonesian Open
reverts back to Asian Tour: The Indonesian Open will switch back to the Asian Tour from next season after three years on the OneAsia circuit, organisers said on Friday. The Asian Tour did not give any details about the date of the tournament, how much prize money would be on offer, sponsors or a venue for the event which they first staged in 1974. “This agreement marks a new dawn for our national championship,” Indonesian Golf Association (PGI) president Arifin Panigoro said in a statement. “We are convinced the staging of the Indonesian Open in 2013 and beyond will be hugely successful so that the entire golfing fraternity in Indonesia will be proud of our flagship tournament.” The Asian Tour have been wrestling for events in east Asia with rivals OneAsia, who formed in 2009. Asian Tour chief executive Kyi Hla Han welcomed the news of the return of the Indonesian Open which will sit alongside their CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters next year as one of nine confirmed events so far. “We are excited to have this opportunity to work closely with the PGI and we believe the Indonesian Open is right up there amongst the best of national Opens in Asia,” Han said. “Our players enjoy visiting Indonesia as the golf courses, facilities and hospitality are first class and we look forward to returning for the 2013 Indonesian Open.” The Indonesia Open was the season opener on the OneAsia Tour this year and jointly sanctioned with the Japan Golf Tour Organisation. Australian Nick Cullen won the $1 million title at the Emeralda Golf Club in March. OneAsia released a preliminary January-May schedule earlier this month with five events including the Indonesia PGA Championship in March.



Related posts

Top