Hughes recalled to replace Ponting in Sri Lanka test | Pakistan Today

Hughes recalled to replace Ponting in Sri Lanka test

Australia recalled top order batsman Phillip Hughes to replace the retired Ricky Ponting on Thursday for next week’s first match in a three-test series against Sri Lanka. The 24-year-old, dropped last year as an opener amid questions over his technique, was named in the 12-man squad for the Hobart test with a strong indication that the top order will be reshuffled.
“Phillip Hughes has been selected to fill the vacancy created by Ricky Ponting’s retirement,” head selector John Inverarity said in a news release. “Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Rob Quiney and Alex Doolan were the four batsmen to come under consideration to bat high in the order. “Phillip is an improved player and his recent and overall career statistics present a compelling case. “The (selectors hold) the view that he, having just turned 24, is a very significant part of the future. He has received this call-up, his third, as it was considered to be the right time and circumstances for him to re-establish himself.” With openers Ed Cowan and David Warner retaining their places in the side, Hughes looks most likely to bat at number three in the order with all-rounder Shane Watson moving down to replace Ponting at number four. Clarke, who currently bats at number five, also said after the Perth test he would consider moving up the order if coach Mickey Arthur asked him to.
“Michael Clarke will give careful consideration to his batting order during the next few days,” Inverarity said. “He has a number of options open to him and Hughes at three is one of these.” Ponting played his 168th and final test earlier this week in Perth as Australia fell to a 309-run defeat to South Africa to lose the series 1-0. Left-arm quicks Mitchell Starc and Mitchell Johnson have retained their places in the squad after claiming all 10 South African wickets in the second innnings at Perth, albeit at the cost of 569 runs.



Related posts

Top