NATO supplies remain suspended for the 8th day | Pakistan Today

NATO supplies remain suspended for the 8th day

NATO supplies to Afghanistan remained suspended on Wednesday for the eight consecutive day due to security threats through the Torkham border.
The supplies to NATO forces were stopped when a driver was killed in a militant attack on a convoy that was heading to Afghanistan.
Officials privy to the development said security arrangements had been tightened to ensure a safe journey for the convoys. They said the supplies would be restored once a foolproof security system was in place. On Tuesday, the memorandum of understanding (MoU) regarding restoration of NATO supplies was signed by Pakistan and the United States. The accord became operational after formal signing by the two countries. It will be effective until December 31, 2015 and could be extended for one year after consultations. Pakistan will also provide facilities for the security and quick transfer of the cargo and will keep the US government informed of the monitoring and transit points of the cargo. Containers traveling to Afghanistan will be bound to return via Pakistan. There will be no tax or duty charged on the containers. However, commercial carriers will have to pay fees. New fees can also be introduced for the quick transfer of cargo.



Related posts

Top