Novae Impex Managing Director Irfan Chughtai demands from the government to levy tax on raw rock salt so that India and China could not hurt local vendors. Moreover, this is also a plausible loss to both the national exchequer and local market. He further said that both countries import raw rock salt from Pakistan and then sell products made from the material in international markets, using their tags. This practice poses a great threat and loss to both local vendors and the national market. “The absence of a tax on raw rock salt is damaging, yet the country can earn millions of dollars by projecting local vendors who are selling hundreds of products made from the salt in the international market,” he added.
Novae Impex exports 350 products made of Himalyan rock salt to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, China, United States and Middle Eastern countries including Saudi Arabia and UAE. Salt lamps have a very high demand in Europe and Australia. However, there is no local demand of the said products, and they have only a few customers in the corporate sector.
He further said that the government does not support this sector despite the fact that Pakistan has the largest Himalyan rock salt range in the world, starting from Kohat and going up to Kalabagh. There is no price fixing in this sector, and around 80 manufacturers do their business through third parties, outsourcing this industry, while out of the remaining 20 per cent manufacturers, only 8 per cent are genuine and 12 per cent cater to the middleman, he added.
Talking about his business, he said that we are an eco-friendly company whose motto is ‘stay healthier’, and we have our own setup of manufacturing Himalayan Rock Salt products, which we export to many countries. Understanding the customer and catering to their needs is the top most priority at Novae, and we believe in a total supply chain management system; where we ensure maintenance of quality standards at every step, from mining the raw material to the process of making it a finished product, he added.
Issues at hand
The mentioned industry is facing obstacles to growth. Chughtai said that power cuts for long hours, unavailability of water in Sindh Industrial Zone, rising petroleum prices, unskilled labour and transportation are just some of the plaguing menaces. Furthermore, disparity of the Pakistani Rupee against the dollar, the lack of any association or umbrella body to help manufacturers of this sector and practically no support from the government add to the miseries. He said that the sector has people working in individual capacity, thus there is nobody who could raise a voice for its betterment.
Salt lamps and their benefits
He informed that salt lamps, also known as ‘Rock Salt Crystal Lamps’ are made from naturally occurring rock salt crystals formed over several million years. The natural orange color of the rock salt produces a glow that creates a warm, sensual and comfortable atmosphere, and these lamps not only produce light but are also attractive sculptures. Even though Salt Crystal Lamps are not “medical devices”, these lamps significantly reduce a myriad of indoor air pollutants by emitting negative ions, he added.
Irfan further informed that an average human takes 900 breaths per hour and that pollutants in the air are destructive. The increasing quantity of positive ions in the air has adversely affected everyone’s life. These salt lamps have a unique natural capacity to filter air for us, by increasing the ratio of negative ions because the environment in which we live today has far more sources of positive ions than in the past, creating an electrical imbalance in the air, he added.
Electrical appliances yield positive ions which is the reason for the deterioration of physical and emotional well being, for example televisions which have earned space in everyone’s house, radios which are becoming popular once again, transmitters, radar systems, computers, exhausts, cigarette fumes and most importantly mobile phones, all of these are high sources of positive ions, he informed.
Salt Crystal Lamps made from the natural Himalayan crystallised salt rocks are “Natural Air Ionizers”. The healthful Negative Ions produced by Salt Crystal Lamps effectively, and naturally purify and improve the quality of the surrounding air you breathe, thus are real “Vitamins Of The Air”. Salt Crystal Lamps from Himalaya help to cure many diseases. Many health practitioners in Europe, North America, Australia and Japan use Salt Crystal Lamps extensively in their recommended treatments of allergies, neuralgia, hypertension, respiratory problems, rheumatism, kidney or liver conditions, hormonal imbalance, sinus, migraine headaches and blood system diseases. They are also used to reduce asthma attacks, enhance the immune system, increase alertness, increase work productivity, increase lung capacity, reduce susceptibility to cold and flu, and for color therapy.
Where could salt lamps be used?
A Salt Crystal Lamp in your vicinity will help your wellness and keep the air around you naturally clean and ionized. You could use it anywhere you want the air quality to improve.
1. Offices: a lamp at work can help improve your concentration and refresh you, minimising the effects of fatigue, stress, artificial lights, artificial air environment, and radiations from office equipment particularly the monitor’s radiation. Placing a salt crystal lamp near a computer reduces fatigue and counters EMF (Electro Magnetic Frequency) effects from any electrical equipment. For employees who smoke cigarettes, a few lamps around smoky areas will clear away the lingering smells faster, and also takes care of its adverse effects on others
2. Homes: salt crystal lamps are highly suitable for daily use in the whole house. A salt crystal lamp or a tea light in your vicinity will help your wellness and keep the air around you healthful, clean, naturally ionized, and energetic.
3. Educational use: using salt lamps in educational institutes might help children to concentrate more on studies, as positively charged ions are neutralised and negative ions are emitted to refresh the class atmosphere.
4. Clinics: doctors can use lamps in patients’ waiting rooms to create a relaxed atmosphere. A salt crystal lamp glowing in your consulting or treating room assists the healthy process and adds to a calming environment.
5. Health clubs: a few lamps used in a health club, gym or any indoor sports room, will enhance the quality of fresh air, comforting gymnasts to breathe in a much healthier atmosphere, while exercising.
6. Restaurants: a few lamps in a restaurant will make it distinguished and will attract more customers.
7. Color therapy: Salt crystal lamps are also used in the color therapy, i.e. chromo-therapy. Their soothing lights help neurotics and people suffering from insomnia.
Well, salt lamps could be used anywhere the natural air quality needs to be restored or to create a cozy and pleasant environment.