SC rejects FIA report on Haj scandal | Pakistan Today

SC rejects FIA report on Haj scandal

Rejecting a report by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) into the Haj scam, the Supreme Court on Friday directed agency’s director general to produce on May 13 the record of applications filed by FIA Additional Director General Syed Javed Hussain Bukhari and Director Hussain Asghar seeking separation from the probe into the Haj scam. A four-member larger bench of the Supreme Court, consisting of Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Javed Iqbal, Justice Raja Fayyaz Ahmed and Justice Ghulam Rabbani, gave the orders while conducting suo motu hearing on the case of corruption and mismanagement in Haj affairs.
The court also directed FIA Director General Malik Muhammad Iqbal to personally explain the matter if applications were not found in the record. Federal government’s lawyer Abdul Hafeez Pirzada informed the court that in pursuance of its orders, the Cabinet Division had sent a summary to the prime minister to bring back Syed Javed Hussain Bukhari and Hussain Asghar, who were transferred while investigating the Haj scandal. He said the prime minister was out of the country and a notification regarding the transfers would be issued as soon he returned.
The chief justice noted that mismanagement and corruption in Haj arrangements had led to a loss of Rs 460 million to the national exchequer. He said the nation’s looted money would have to be returned at all costs. Rejected FIA’s investigation report, the court said there had been no progress in the investigation following the transfer of Javed Bukhari and Hussain Asghar. The proceedings were later adjourned until May 13.



Related posts

Top