Fire breaks out at Mayo Hospital ICU | Pakistan Today

Fire breaks out at Mayo Hospital ICU

LAHORE: Panic spread in the Mayo Hospital’s Emergency Ward after a fire broke out in the main electricity board in the hospital basement on Friday. The fire also caused sparks in the switch board in the intensive care unit (ICU) of the emergency ward producing a lot of smoke in the emergency ward. But the news of the incident created panic in the emergency ward, as patients and attendants rushed towards the exit gates, trying to vacate the building and shift their patients.
The hospital administration suspended the electricity supply of the emergency floor as soon as the fire erupted. “We were just waiting for the doctor to complete the check up of a patient when smoke emanating from the ICU filled the emergency ward.
We immediately rushed to the exit gate, as the news of a fire spread. Then the electricity went out and attendants started shifting their patients out in the open. The fire has been put out and now we are shifting our patient back,” Ghulam Rasool, an attendant told Pakistan Today.
According to Rescue 1122 officials, a small fire erupted in the ICU due to short circuiting in a switch board and rescue officials put out the fire with a small cylinder. “No damage has been recorded during the fire operation,” he added.
An on-duty doctor said that there was no fire and only smoke entering the emergency ward from the ICU, which spread panic. She further said that someone called up the Rescue 1122 who responded quickly but had to return soon, as there was only sparks and smoke. The electricity supply was resumed on the ground floor and would be resumed to other wards soon, she said.
“Many patients have been shifted to their respective wards, while the rest are coming back to the same ward. Only electricity wiring got damaged while the equipment like monitors are safe,” she concluded.
Mayo Hospital MS Dr Zahid Pervaiz said that the fire broke out in the basement of the hospital, while there were only sparks and smoke in the ICU.
He said that even the rescue officials left soon after the incident. “The hospital administration itself disconnected the electric supply to the emergency block and it would be resumed soon, as the fire has been put out already. The fire has done no damage either to the equipment or any patient,” Pervaiz concluded.



Related posts

One Comment;

Comments are closed.

Top