BCB optimistic about World Twenty20 preparation

The 2014 World Twenty20 Cup will begin on March 16, but the organisers are confident that the prevailing political tension in Bangladesh will not hamper its preparations. The final has been slated for April 6 next year, and a press conference was held in Dhaka on Saturday to mark the one-year run-up to the tournament.

But the press conference was held during a general strike while the logo-launching ceremony to be held in the evening will begin at the end of the strike.

“The political situation during an election year in Bangladesh is usually unstable so I hope the situation will change during the World Twenty20s,” ICC vice-president AHM Mustafa Kamal said. “Government and opposition leaders had come to watch the Asia Cup last year, so we believe that the political parties will not create any obstacles.”

Apart from this, the BCB will have to deal with the issue of infrastructure as construction is yet to begin on the proposed stadium in Cox’s Bazar, while the one in Sylhet is still incomplete. BCB president Nazmul Hassan remained upbeat about both venues completion.

“As far as I know, the Cox’s Stadium will be handed over to the BCB. We can start work next week if we receive a letter in this regard on Sunday. We will begin work on the wicket and ground as soon as possible.

“There is not much left to do in the Sylhet venue. The floodlights and the dressing-room are there to be completed. It is stalled due to bureaucracy, so if it is delayed we will build it using BCB’s finances,” said Hassan.

Bangladesh have already co-hosted the 2011 World Cup, including the opening ceremony, but the BCB were not clear about there being a similar programme ahead of the 2014 event.



Top