Several trainee police officers were rendered unconscious after consuming poisonous food in Karachi on Sunday. According to a private TV channel, more than 68 police cadets under training at the training centre in Razaqabad went unconscious after eating poisonous food served to them by the canteen. The report said 33 of the unconscious trainee officers were taken to Jinnah Hospital while 35 were sent to Steel Mills Hospital Karachi. However, ten to 15 of the unconscious were said to be in critical condition. Fellow cadets said the management had given them food which was unhygienic and not fit to eat. Another private TV channel reported that two of the unconscious cadets had died. However, Sindh Inspector General of Police (IGP) Fayaz Laghari confirmed that some cadets had fainted due to the poisonous food but said none had passed away. “We have arrested the canteen in-charge and we will take action against those responsible,” he said. Meanwhile, the fellow cadets protested against the management and damaged the canteen property.