KARACHI - At least six people, including a girl, were killed and over a dozen injured when two powerful blasts occurred near crowded Hyderi Market in Karachi on Tuesday, media reported.
The death toll, it is feared, could rise as the explosions triggered stampede in the market, which was immediately closed.
Police and rescue teams reached the scene and shifted the injured to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital, where emergency had been declared. The blasts took place on a service road near the market, damaging several vehicles and buildings.
According to the police, the bomb was apparently fixed on a motorbike, which was completely destroyed following the blasts. Heavy contingent of police and rangers were deployed at the blast site.
Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) were used in carrying out today's deadly explosions, said the Bomb Disposal Squad.
SSP Central has claimed that three blasts occurred near the shopping center within a range of 50 yards.
On the other hand, East DIG told reporters that explosive material had been recovered from the same place during the holy month of Ramadan. Electronics Market president has announced that market will not open tomorrow after the blast.
Condemning the bomb blasts, President Asif Ali Zardari expressed his sorrow over loss of lives. Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ebad and Chief Minster Syed Qaim Ali Shah also condemned the blasts.
In a separate statement, PML-N President Nawaz Sharif also strongly condemned the blasts. Police authorities have already launched an investigation into the deadly explosions.
It may be recalled that police had recovered and defused on August 13 explosives measuring many kilograms which had been planted at the same point where today's blasts have taken place.