ISLAMABAD - Officials of two investigation agencies on Tuesday made startling revelations in the apex court, stating that the incumbent and former prime ministers of the country were involved in what they called “illegal appointment” of an officer due to whom the exchequer allegedly suffered a loss of Rs 82 billion. Tauqir Sadiq is the brother-in-law of PPP Secretary General Jahangir Badr. He was removed from the post of OGRA chairman for holding fake degrees and involvement in misappropriation of funds.
NAB informed the apex court that incumbent Prime Minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf, his predecessor Yousaf Raza Gilani and cabinet division secretary Nargis Sethi were allegedly involved in the illegal appointment of former OGRA chairman Tauqeer Sadiq, due to which the exchequer allegedly suffered a loss of Rs 82 billion. A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry was conducting contempt of court proceedings in the Tauqeer Sadiq case. During the proceedings, NAB Investigation Officer Waqas submitted its report in the court regarding appointment of Sadiq. Waqas also briefed the court in detail about the probe. The chief justice praised him, saying, “You are performing well.” He added that Waqas should be protected by the authority chief as he had worked hard in national interest. The investigation officer informed the Supreme Court that Ashraf was chairman of interview board while federal secretaries Zafar Mehmood and Nargis Sethi were members of the board that approved the illegal appointment of Tauqeer Sadiq.
He said Yousaf Raza Gilani was the prime minister at the time, adding that they were all involved in the appointment. The chief justice remarked that the court would provide protection to the investigation officer. He further said the report reflected that the NAB chairman was not complying with court orders.
The court directed the NAB chairman to submit a report under his signature by August 13 regarding the implementation of judgment passed in the case, enquiring what steps had been taken against the persons who were allegedly involved in the case and progress made in the recovery of alleged misappropriation of Rs 82 billion.
The court had passed an order nine months ago to probe into the matter when Yousaf Raza Gilani was holding the PM’s office.
The court observed that no action had been taken so far either from OGRA or NAB on the judgment. The judgment should be implemented in letter and spirit, the CJ remarked.
NAB Deputy Prosecutor General Fozi Zaffar apprised the bench that a warrant for the arrest of the ex-OGRA chief had been issued as he was hiding in Lahore, but the Punjab Police IG was not cooperating for the arrest.
The court also directed Sadiq to remain present in the court during the next date of hearing and adjourned the proceedings until August 13.