MADRID - Armed Basque separatist group ETA vowed Monday to stick by a decision last October to abandon violence, but accused Spain and France of blocking dialogue.
"In addition to maintaining the position adopted on October 20, we are redoubling our efforts to open paths of dialogue," the group said in a statement published by Basque daily Gara.
Spain and France have refused to enter negotiations with ETA, demanding the group disarm and disband after four decades of bombings and shootings blamed for more than 800 deaths.
ETA, listed by the European Union and the United States as a terrorist group, said it was committed to the path of non-violence to attain an independent homeland in northern Spain and southwestern France.
"Unfortunately, during these months we have seen that the option of this solution also has enemies," ETA said.
"The governments of Spain and France have not given any positive response. To the contrary, in addition to rejecting dialogue they have maintained a strategy of paralysing and obstructing the process."
ETA has been weakened by Spanish and French coordinated security operations, which have led to a string of arrests of top members, including 18 so far this year in Spain, France and Britain.
But the organisation refuses to disarm until dialogue has been opened with the two governments.
It is calling in particular for an amnesty for some 700 of its members who are held in prisons in France and Spain. The number of ETA activists at large was estimated to be fewer than 100 at the end of 2011.