ISLAMABAD - The Senate Standing Committee on States and Frontier Regions (SAFRON) was told on Monday that remaining Rs 5 billion, out of total Rs 15 billion package for the FATA development schemes, would soon be released.
The committee which met here with Senator Hafiz Rashid Ahmed in the chair was briefed on the ongoing development projects in FATA region.
The FATA Secretariat officials told the committee that Rs 15 billion were allocated for development in FATA in 2010-11 and that 75 percent of the funds were meant for the ongoing projects and the remaining 25 percent for new schemes.
The committee was briefed that around Rs 10 billion had been released but the remaining Rs 5 billion were yet to be approved by the Planning and Development Division.
The members of the committee also voiced concerns that complaints regarding misappropriation of funds in the FATA well-digging schemes were very common.
SAFRON Secretary Habibullah Khan Khattak said that water level in the most areas of the FATA was very low and hundreds of the wells dug up with public money had not been functional for the last few years.
Meanwhile, the standing Committee also asked the Ministry of SAFRON to provide all the details of recently promulgated FATA Regulation in the next meeting.
Senator Abdul Gaffar Qureshi asked the SAFRON minister to explain if the reported tax being received by levies from NATO truck was legal.
The minister said that no tax was being collected from the NATO trucks. He, however, assured the committee to probe if anyone was involved in collecting the money illegally.